Original title: Darbareye Elly
* Golshifteh Farahani * Taraneh Alidousti * Shahab Hosseini
* Merila Zarei * Mani Haghighi *Peyman Moadi
* Rana Azadivar *Ahmad Mehranfar and * Saber Abar
Written & Directed by: Asghar Farhadi
Director of Photography: Hossein Jafarian
Editing: Hayedeh Safiyari
Music: Andrea Bauer
Sound Recorder: Hassan Zahedi
Sound Mixer: Mohammad-Reza Delpak
Producer: Asghar Farhadi & Mahmoud Razavi
Company: Simaye Mehr
Running Time: 118 min
Film Gauge: 35mm; Colour
Original Version: Persian
After many years living in Germany, Ahmad is visiting Iran. His old university friends organise a three-day break on the Caspian Sea.
The joyful Sepideh plans the reunion but, unbeknown to her colleagues, invites Elly, her daughter’s nursery school teacher.
Ahmad, exiting an unhappy German marriage, would like to settle down with an Iranian woman. The friends, realising why Sepideh has invited Elly, pay her particular attention and laud her qualities.
On the second day an incident occurs which leads to Elly’s disappearance. The joyful atmosphere evaporates as the friends try to understand how and why she is no longer there.
Panic sets in. The friends become judgemental and try to find fault in Elly’s character. The group’s opinions of Elly veer from those of the first day, until at last the truth is out.
Cinema audiences have grown more mature and directors can no longer be content with force feeding them a set of preconceived ideas. Rather than asserting a world vision, a film must open a space in which the public can involve themselves in a personal reflection, and evolve from consumers to independent thinkers. Cinema has no other choice but to take up this approach, as I did when I made ‘About Elly’.
* 59 Internationale Filmfestspiele Berlin, Germany, 2009.
* Silver Bear for Best Director, 59th Berlinale, Germany 2009.
* Best Film, Tribeca Film Festival, NY, USA, 2009
* NETPAC Award, Brisbane IFF, Australia, 2009
* The Public Choice Award, 10th Asiatica Film Festival, Roma, Italia. From 31th october-7th November, 2009
* Special Jury Prize Award, 10th Asiatica Film Festival, Roma, Italia. From 31th october-7th November, 2009
* The Standard Readers Prize, Vienna IFF VIENNALE, Vienna, Austria, 2009.
* Best Film, 14th Kerala IFF, India, 2009
* Best Screenplay, Asia Pacific Screen Awards, Brisbane, Australia, 2009
* Jury Grand Prize, Asia Pacific Screen Awards, Brisbane, Australia, 2009
Click below to watch the trailer: