By Shahram Mokri
Original title – Jenayat-e bi deghat
International title – Careless Crime
On a very ordinary day, four ordinary people decide to set fire to a cinema packed with people.
Forty years ago, during the uprising to overthrow the Shah’s regime in Iran, protestors set fire to movie theatres as a way of showing opposition to Western culture. Many cinemas were burned down. In one tragic case, a theatre was set on fire with four hundred people inside, most of whom were burned alive.
Forty years have passed and, in contemporary Iran, four individuals also decide to burn a cinema down. Their intended target is a theatre showing a film about an unearthed, unexploded missile. Will past and present meet?
Director – Shahram Mokri
Screenplay – Nasim Ahmadpour & Shahram Mokri
Director of Photography – Alireza Barazandeh
Editing – Shahram Mokri
Original Music – Ehsan Sedigh
Sound Designer – Parviz Abnar
Sound Recordist – Parviz Abnar
Set & Costume Designer – Amir Esbati
Make-Up Artist – Ehsan Ronaci & Shiva Pakniat
Special Effects – Mehdi Ghezloo
Line Producer – Negar Eskandarfar
Producer – Negar Eskandarfar
Production Company – Karnameh Institute of Arts and Culture
Awards & Festivals
- Winner of: ‘BISATO D’ORO Award’ – ‘Critica Indipendente’ – 77th Venice IFF, for the ‘Best Original Screenplay – Nasim Ahmadpour & Shahram Mokri’.
- Winner of: ‘Silver Hugo Jury Prize’ – 56th Chicago International Film Festival, USA, 2020.
- Winner of: ‘Best Scriptwriter – Nasim Ahmadpour & Sharam Mokri’ – 19th Dhaka IFF (DIFF), Bangladesh, 2021.
- Winner of: ‘Special Jury Mention Award’ – 24th Guanajuato International Film Festival, Mexico.
« A bold exploration of the connections between fiction and our experience of the world, a passionate tribute to cinema as an expression of our time. »
- Winner of: ‘Best Film Award’, in ‘New Views’ section – 10th Olhar de Cinema, Curitiba International Film Festival, Brazil.
- 77th Venice International Film Festival, Italy. September 02-12, 2020. ‘Orizzonti Competition’.
- 56th Chicago International Film Festival, USA. October 14-25, 2020. ‘Official Selection Competition’.
- 58th VIENNALE, International Film Festival, Austria. October 22-November 01, 2020. ‘Main Program 2020’.
- 21st TOKYO FILMeX, international Film Festival, Japan. October 30-November 07, 2020. ‘Competitive’ section.
- 26th MED FILM FESTIVAL, Rome, Italy. November 04-13, 2020. ‘Official Competition’ section.
- Sharjah Film Platform 3 (SFP3)/Sharjah Art Foundation, United Arab Emirates. November 14-21, 2020.
- 19th Dhaka International Film Festival (DIFF), Bangladesh. January 16-24, 2021. ‘Competitive’ section.
- Films from Iran in Washington D.C., Boston and Houston (Museum of Fine Arts, Houston), USA. January-February 2021.
- KYOTO FILMeX, Japan. January 22-February 04, 2021.
- Screening Venues and dates:
- Kyoto Cinema / Movie Theaters, Kyoto Tours. January 22-28, 2021.
- Demachiza – Movie theater in Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto city. January 22-February 04, 2021.
- Kyoto Minami Kaikan. January 29-February 04, 2021.
- Kyoto Minami Kaikan Cinema arthouse cinemas in Kyoto.
- 18th Chennai International Film Festival, India. February 18-25, 2021. ‘Non Competitive Festival’.
- 11th Luxembourg City Film Festival, Luxembourg. March 04-14, 2021. ‘Competitive’ section.
- 45th Hong Kong International Film Festival. April 01-12, 2021. ‘Iranian Cinema Special Section’.
- MOOOV Film Festival ‘films facing the world’, Turnhout & Bruges, Belgium. April 20-May 03, 2021. ‘Panorama’ section.
- 22nd JEONJU International Film Festival, South Korea. April 29-May 08, 2021. ‘World Cinema’ section.
- 40th Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival, USA. May 13-23, 2021. ‘Official Selection’ section.
- 50th International Film Festival Rotterdam, Netherlands. June 02-06, 2021. ‘Cinema Regained’ section.
- Visions of Iran, Iranian Film Festival, Cologne, Germany. June 10-20, 2021.
- 10th Bildrausch–Filmfest, Basel, Switzerland. June 16-20, 2021.’Competitive’ section.
- 16th Geneva International Oriental Film Festival (FIFOG), Switzerland. June 21-27, 2021. ‘Competitive’ section.
- 24th Guanajuato International Film Festival, Mexico. September 17-26, 2021. ‘International Feature Competitive’ section.
- 10th Olhar de Cinema-Curitiba International Film Festival, Brazil. October 06-14, 2021. ‘New Views -Competitive’ section.
- 19th Doclisboa International Film Festival, Lisbon, Portugal. October 21-31, 2021. ‘New Visions’ section.
- New Zealand International Film Festival, New Zeland. Wellington: November 04-21, 2021.
- 8th Duhok International Film Festival, Kurdistan region, Iraq. November 15-22, 2021. ‘world vision’ section.
- 20th Tiburon International Film Festival, California, USA. November 19-25, 2021.
- UCLA Celebration of Iranian Cinema, California, Los Angeles, USA. November 20, 2021.
Screening venue: Billy Wilder Theater / 7:30 pm.
- 11th International Crime and Punishment Film Festival, Istanbul, Turkey. November 25 -December 03, 2021. ‘Panorama’ section.
- 13th Bengaluru International Film Festival, India. March 03-10,, 2022. ‘Competitive’ section.
- Brooklyn Academy of Music’s theatrical run CARELESS CRIME, Feb. 25-March 3rd, 2022, USA.
- 12th Edinburgh Iranian Film Festival, Scotland, UK. April 15-18, 2022. Screening venue: Filmhouse Cinema, ‘Non- Competitive Festival’.
- Cinemateca Capitólio, Porto Alegre, Southern Brazil. Screening venue: Vulcana Cinema, May 07 and 14, 2022.
- 9th Taoyuan International Film Festival, Taiwan. August 19-28, 2022. ‘Magic Moment’ section.